Welcome to the Sage FAQ!
This FAQ was compiled and is maintained by Minh Van Nguyen
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike
- FAQ: General
- FAQ: Using Sage
- How do I get started?
- What are Sage’s prerequisites?
- How to get Sage’s Python to recognize my system’s Tcl/Tk install?
- How do I import Sage into a Python script?
- How can I reload a Python script in a Sage session?
- Can I use Sage with Python 3.x?
- I’m seeing an error about “Permission denied” on a file called “sage-flags.txt”.
- I downloaded a Sage binary and it crashes on startup with “Illegal instruction”. What can I do?
- I used Debian/Ubuntu to install Sage 3.0.5 and that version is giving lots of errors. What can I do?
- Should I use the official version or development version?
- Is Sage difficult to learn?
- Can I do X in Sage?
- What exactly does Sage do when I type “0.6**2”?
- Why is Sage’s command history different from Magma’s?
- I have type issues using SciPy, cvxopt or NumPy from Sage.
- How do I save an object so I don’t have to compute it each time I open a worksheet?
- I get an error from jsMath or the math symbols don’t look right when displaying in the notebook.
- I created the file SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/sage/calculus/stokes.py, and have changed my mind and want to completely delete it from Sage, but it keeps coming back (i.e. it is still importable) when I type “sage -br”. What do I do?
- Does Sage contain a function similar to Mathematica’s ToCharacterCode?
- Can I make Sage automatically execute commands on startup?
- My Sage upgrade failed with missing gmp symbols on OSX 10.4. What can I do?
- When I compile Sage my computer beeps and shuts down or hangs.
- When I run doctests on Mac OS X I see the messages with “malloc”, but in the end Sage reports that everything went fine.
- Sage 2.9 and higher fails compiling ATLAS on Linux. How can I fix this?
- Sage fails with the error message “restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied”. What is wrong?
- When I start Sage, SELinux complains that “/path/to/libpari-gmp.so.2” requires text-relocation. How can I fix it?
- Upgrading Sage went fine, but now the banner still shows the old version. How can I fix this?
- How do I run sage in daemon mode, i.e. as a service?
- I am using Mac OS X. Where do I put the jsMath “font” directory to eliminate the red box?
- The show command for plotting 3-D objects does not work.
- May I use Sage tools in a commercial environment?
- I want to write some Cython code that uses finite field arithmetic but “cimport sage.rings.finite_field_givaro” fails. What can I do?
- I’m getting weird build failures on Mac OS X. How do I fix this?
- How do I use the bitwise XOR operator in Sage?
- When I try to use LaTeX in the notebook, it says it cannot find fullpage.sty.
- With objects a and b and a function f, I accidentally typed f(a) = b instead of f(a) == b. This returned a TypeError (as expected), but also deleted the object a. Why?
- FAQ: Contributing to Sage